Monday, June 29, 2009

Pride goeth.....


I have always been a reluctant participant in Gay Pride festivities in NYC. My instinct is to run and hide, or get on a plane to the furthest destination possible. Since my BobOnARoll for Mayor platform includes an absolute ban on all ethnic and special event parades in Manhattan except for Thanksgiving and some-other-national-I-forget-what-it-is Day, I am against the whole idea in principle. Why can't we have a Yale/Harvard Alumni parade or White Jew Day or I Love Opera festival march?? Oh well, curmudgeon to the end, am I ....

Anyway, Steph dragged me to the Stonewall 40th anniversary parade yesterday, and I'm glad I spent the early afternoon with her, seeing people we know and others we would like
to know.....

The usual assortment of politicos, fun floats, and endless endless endless assortment of churches and special interest groups, some of which have long ago lived out their
useful lives. Reminds me of so many people I know (myself included) who are inclined to hold on to the past for dear life. But I digress....

My favorite group, aside from the Brazilians, Peruvians, and Colombians, who always seem to be having much more fun than we, was the Crayolas, pictured here for your enjoyment.

The weather turned glorious all weekend, and after a few hours of fun and cheer with Steph, I headed home to prepare for my fun evening and decided it wasn't so bad after all.....see you at the 50th (but not before....)


No comments:

Post a Comment