Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Holiday

Happy St. Patrick's Day from NY.  Warm salutes to my Irish friends.

As for the parade....

Was in midtown this morning for two back to back breakfast meetings.  By 8:30 AM, had already spotted three separate gaggles of rowdy green-clad teenagers in and around Grand Central.  Did not approach.

Lots of lovely kind people, too, but those aren't the ones we recall when we think of St. Patty's Day in NY.  If you like firemen and policemen, however, it's not too late to run over to Fifth Avenue for a look-see.

OK, if you know me, you know that one of my "If I Ruled the World" fantasies is to ban all ethnic and religious parades in Manhattan, along with all street fairs of any kind.  Now you know.....don't vote for me.


2 comments:

  1. Incidentally, I concur with you on your banning of ethnic parades idea. Clinging to "pride" over coming from somewhere else (which is random, unless you are a relative of God, you didn't choose to come from that place) only hardens the walls of isolation that these silly parades are purportedly supposed to help break down. If you want to be a Puerto Rican, Irish, Georgian, whatever, go back to those places. If you want to be a New Yorker, be content to be proud enough of being just that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thought about the parades and fairs was mostly in jest---the ethnic and religious diversity of NYC is amazing and wonderful. Like no other city in the world and I wouldn't want it to be any other way. But, those parades....well, that's life in the Big City.

    ReplyDelete