Thursday, December 9, 2010

What happened to Nobelity?

Is nothing sacred?

Now, they're trying to ruin the Nobel Peace Prize, which has always been political, just like they tried to ruin the Olympics, which has always been political.  They ruined small-d democratic majority rule in the Senate, the last bastion of civility in politics.  They are ruining confidentiality in international diplomacy.  And they are even trying to ruin Facebook, which has always been, well, it only seems like it's always been.....

Who are these people anyway?  These ruin-ers.....??

They are we.

We seem to be in a 'my way or the highway' moment in public life.  I want what I want when I want it, and if I don't get it I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue.  Or I'm going to come over and chop down the cherry tree in your front yard.  Or I'm going to bring the government to a standstill, or boycott your awards ceremony, or pull everyone's pants down so all are equally and painfully exposed.

Gee whiz, we're in a bad place right now.

Our leaders run away from the challenge of helping us define the National Interest, and fail to stand up for what we believe in on a global scale.  Do you think Nobel Laureate Barack might have a word or two to say about the boycott the Chinese are trying to orchestrate for this year's Nobel Peace Prize ceremony?  Haven't heard a thing.

We endure the shame of Iraq and Afghanistan---the recipients of well over a Trillion Dollars of American treasure---joining the Chinese boycott.  One can only imagine how Truman might have responded to such an affront----how about landing an American chopper on the grounds of the presidential palace in Kabul and 'inviting' the senior leaders therein for a short joy ride to Stockholm??

Our leaders are wimps.  We're not.  Perhaps we need to rise to our own occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment