Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Kayaking

BobOnARoll is certifiable.

On many levels, perhaps. But I'll cop to at least one on this blog. The ethic of hard-work-perspiration- vs- inspiration-, nothing-takes-the-place-of-persistence value system that has stood me well for all my career has admittedly become workaholism, plain and simple.

How do I know?

Well, for one thing, I seem to be unable to function as well at less than 140 mph. My grandiosity sees me as a Lamborghini in city traffic---a slow and steady 20-30 mph just won't do ! Lemme at the open road or even better the German autobahn, and let's open this baby up !

And when, as now, a fast-paced project slows to a trickle, I wonder what I am going to do with all this bloody time.

Luckily, antidotes appear just when we need them, and good friend JW invited me yesterday for a day of kayaking on Lake Torati in Harriman State Park. As we paddled along the shorelines, through the lily pad fields, and around the beaver lodges on a picture-perfect early September day, guess what I wasn't thinking much about?

It helped that first me, then John (in a sympathetic gesture), rolled over into the drink trying to disembark for lunch.  Peanut butter sandwiches with Eau du Lac just don't cut it, but we had some great chuckles and convos along the way.

BobOnARoll could get used to life at 5 MPH.

No comments:

Post a Comment