Friday, June 5, 2009

art notes

Since hitting the ground in NY Monday night, I've been on a mad dash to get to the theater this week and next to continue my annual MayJune TonyRoll---seeing as many of the Tony nominated plays and performances as possible before the inevitable cast changes that start to unfold after the awards.

Last night, Bryan and I attended Exit the King, where Geoffrey Rush gave us a chilling interpretation of Ionesco's Everyman. Theater of the absurd usually leaves me cold, but this adaptation was spot-on with contemporary political relevance. The tragicomic self absorbed deluded ruler of a kingdom that is rotting and shrinking beneath his feet. Sound familiar?

Well, tonight we move from the absurd to the not-quite-sublime but let's say psychedelicious Hair. Which I haven't seen since I was 16 years old and remember vividly. Will be a complete nostalgia trip. Can't wait.

This afternoon caught up with Denny, who arrived here from her trip to Bhutan Nepal Tibet. She treated me to lunch at Gramercy Tavern and we gabbed about travel for hours, then headed to Chelsea for the Yayoi Kusama show at the Gagosian and the Flag Foundation gallery space on w 25th where my favorite artist has 3 pieces on display. And in the distinguished company of world class talent such as Andreas Gursky, Cindy Sherman, and Joan Fontcuberta. Wow, Jase, I am impressed!!

If it keeps on raining (ugh) I'll be at the Met for the Bacon show tomorrow instead of playing tennis. Then Sat night I get to see Mary Stuart on Broadway.

There's no place like home......

1 comment:

  1. In honor of your Tony Roll
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/73363/saturday-night-live-will-ferrell-monologue

    ReplyDelete