Sunday, February 8, 2009

Godfathering

Although I sometimes wish I had become a dad once upon a time, the next best thing surely is being an uncle and godfather to some truly great kids. One of those great kids, goddaughter C, plays trombone in one of America's most highly rated high school jazz ensembles. And she and her troupe were the warm up act for last night's jazz festival in Chicago featuring the Count Basie Orchestra. So, I flew in yesterday afternoon for the show and dinner with her parents and grandparents. How lucky for me.

The C- grade photo above gives a little flavor of the scene.

To top it off, I had a 2 goddaughter weekend, as I visited with family for Sunday brunch and then headed to O'Hare for the brief trip home.

You know we're in a deep recession when LaGuardia and O'Hare are islands of tranquility. Bad news for the airlines but wonderful change of pace for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment