Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Crossing fingers and toes....

Two weeks to go, and last weekend I decided to let myself feel good about this election.  I’ve had my heart broken too many times in presidential election years going back to my first votes for Ab Mikva and George McGovern back in the day.  And this year’s could be another squeaker.  But the polls and media coverage are relentless in favor of the good guys, and maybe, just maybe, this time.....

Something in Barack’s eyes during the 2nd debate really impressed.   Maybe just a passing look, a serenity and determination that I hadn’t seen before, as he gazed respectfully and sometimes quizzically at his opponent lumbering around the debate platform.  The look that convinced me he was destined to win this one because he was simply smarter, better organized, more self assured, and more determined to walk through hell to make it to the top---and to do it with integrity, class, and style.  Woohoo!

I favored  Hillary during the primaries, but what started as grudging acceptance of Barack has become more of an enthusiasm as I read more and assessed his performance and judgment and steadiness.  We’re going to need exactly those qualities, plus great intelligence, to face the s-storm that awaits the victor on January 20, 2009. 

I am rooting for total victory, a 60 seat Senate, a landslide popular vote mandate of at least 10 points, and all the trimmings.  The only Republican I am rooting for is cousin Linda, running for re-election as Clerk of the Circuit Court in Champaign County, Illinois.  Go Linda !!

My dream team:  Barack in the White House, Barney as Speaker, and Hillary as Majority Leader.  Let’s rock !

 


No comments:

Post a Comment